Hamilton North Public Library
Job Title: Bookkeeper
Reports To: Director
Status: Permanent Part-time, Nonexempt (hourly)
Salary: $14.54 - $16.95/hour
Handles and accounts for all receipts and disbursements and maintenance of records related to the fiscal management of the Library including, but not limited to, fund accounting and investments according to methods prescribed by the Indiana State Board of Accounts. Assists in various functions related to personnel including, but not limited to, payroll and benefits. Assists the Library Director in the preparation and administration of the budget.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Verifies, allocates and posts details of business transactions to the automated financial and appropriation record [also known as general ledger] from documents such as invoices and receipts; issues warrants for claims.
2. Prepares monthly, quarterly, annual and special financial statements and reports, including the monthly financial Library Board packet, reports requested by State and Federal agencies, the library Director, and the Library Board.
3. Presents financial statements and reports at monthly Library Board meetings; Board meeting attendance is required.
4. Reconciles and balances accounts and bank statements.
5. Prepares cash receipts for daily deposit; delivers deposits to local bank.
6. Processes invoices for payment by preparing claims, purchase orders, and appropriation reports; resolves procurement issues.
7. Maintains records and calculates employee wages from automated time records, maintains employee benefit records and prints payroll checks.
8. Consults with Library staff to resolve employee benefit and payroll issues.
9. Remits Federal and State withholding taxes, Social Security taxes and other payroll deductions to appropriate agencies.
10. Files required information on new employees with Indiana Workforce Development.
11. Reports and makes payments to Hartford Life and Annuity Insurance Company for the Library’s 457 Plan.
12. Prepares Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return.
13. Prepares annual withholding statements for Library employees (W-2) and 1099 forms for individuals/firms who have provided paid services to the Library.
14. Files Report of Names and Compensation of Officers and Employees (Form 100R) with the State Board of Accounts.
15. Prepares the quarterly Public Library Access Card (PLAC) report.
16. Prepares and files the Library Annual Report (LAR-1) with the State Board of Accounts.
17. Maintains a variety of records required by the State of Indiana related to purchasing and audits.
18. Has a working knowledge of library bookkeeping and budget manuals, including Library Budget Manual and Accounting and Uniform Compliance Guidelines Manual for Libraries.
19. Keeps abreast of Library bookkeeping practices and laws that impact libraries by attending Department of Local Government Finance, State Board of Accounts and Indiana State Library workshops.
20. Maintains an inventory of all Library equipment and furnishings.
21. Assists the Treasurer and the Board of Finance in the investment of Library funds and cash flow management.
22. Assists the Library Director in the preparation and administration of the budget.
23. Responsible for ordering and purchasing supplies for the library.
24. Prepares and files reports on the Library’s LSTA grants.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Newly assigned employees are expected to be proficient at assigned tasks by the end of six months of service. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a 4-year college or university; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer knowledge and/or prior experience in the following areas:
Public funds bookkeeping; accounts payable and receivable; automated bookkeeping systems; payroll and payroll taxes; automated payroll systems; employee benefits, enrollment, and maintenance; fixed asset inventory; cash handling, banking, and account reconciliation; unemployment taxes; related troubleshooting. Knowledge of Microsoft Office required. Knowledge of Boyce Keystone accounting software preferred.
DRIVERS LICENSE and TRANSPORTATION:
Possession of a valid Indiana Passenger Car Drivers License and personal transportation required for job-related assignments.
COMMUNICATION, INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Honesty; reliability; dependability; detail-oriented; adherence to deadlines; effective problem solving; analytical; organized; works well under pressure; promotes library in a positive manner; adaptable to change; team player; requires little supervision; fluent in English.
15-20 hours per week, weekdays and weekends, daytime and evening hours.
This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Please apply online by February 24th, 2019