Job Title: Library Clerk
Status: Permanent Part-time, Nonexempt (hourly)
Hours/Week: 15 - 25 hours/week
Assists customers in the circulation and location of materials and information in a friendly and welcoming manner. Keeps materials organized on shelves according to library procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Checks materials in and out.
2. Searches collection for overdue and missing materials.
3. Answers the telephone; answers questions appropriate to skill level; relays messages to appropriate individuals.
4. Performs holds management – including hold list and hold shelf maintenance.
5. Assists patrons with routine location questions - referring patrons to other staff members as needed; assists patrons to look up materials on the computer and instructs patrons in the use of the library equipment.
6. Assists patrons in placing holds.
7. Collects fines and provides appropriate change.
8. Gives information on meeting room rental.
9. Operates standard library equipment such as copiers, cash register, and integrated library system
10. Inspects returned items for damage.
11. May accept donations and issue donation receipts.
12. Registers new patrons and updates existing patron accounts.
13. Sells PLAC cards.
14. Shelves library materials.
15. Shelf-reads, weeds, and shifts materials as needed.
16. Assists with inventory of the collection.
17. Performs various opening and closing procedures.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily by the end of the first three months of service. Individuals are expected to be proficient at assigned tasks. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer knowledge and/or prior experience in the following areas: customer service; filing; organization (arrangement); resolving customer complaints; working on a team; and working with computer hardware and software.
DRIVERS LICENSE and TRANSPORTATION
A driver's license is not required for this position. Each employee is expected to provide his or her reliable means to and from work.
COMMUNICATION/INTERPERSONAL SKILLS and MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Applicable abilities, aptitudes and personality include: coachable; good judgment; perform well under pressure; promote the Library in a positive manner through interactions with customers and visitors; readily adapt to change; team player; work with details and people simultaneously; and the ability to speak and read English.
Schedule: This job requires both day and evening weekday hours, as well as at minimum two Saturdays and two Sundays a month. We are specifically looking to fill Tuesday and Wednesday evenings with rotating Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Applicants should have a good deal of schedule flexibility.
This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change duties at any time.
Preferred methods of application: Complete our online job application, which may be found on our website at https://www.hnpl.lib.in.us under “About HNPL "Employment Opportunities” or send an email to Jenn Crusenberry (contact information below) with cover letter, resume, and 3 references.
Please contact Jenn Crusenberry, Circulation Manager, with questions concerning this job vacancy. Phone: 317-984-5623 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org