SUBJECT: Art Exhibit and Display Policy
APPROVED BY: Library Board of Trustees
APPROVAL DATE: May 21, 2015
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 21, 2015
NEW ( ) REVISED ( X )
The Hamilton North Public Library provides art exhibit and display spaces for public use. The Art Exhibit and Display Policy is developed in accordance with the Library’s mission, vision, and goals. Exhibit and display [referred to collectively as “exhibit”] spaces are available to individuals and community nonprofit groups on equal terms regardless of opinion or affiliation. The library does not sponsor or endorse the views of any individual or group using the exhibit spaces.
The policy is for use of the library by external groups and individuals and does not apply to use by library staff, the Friends of the Library, and groups collaborating with the library on an exhibit. It applies to all spaces used by the public for exhibits.
The library reserves its exhibit spaces for the primary purpose of presenting itself to the community.
The library administration has written procedures for the use and scheduling of exhibit spaces that are in the best interest of the library and the community.
- Individuals and groups may request space by completing an application. Approval is the responsibility of the Library Director. The Director will not approve exhibits that, in his/her professional opinion, run counter to the mission of the Hamilton North Public Library. Priority will be given to those with a valid HNPL card in good standing.
- Those reserving exhibit spaces are asked to remember that these spaces are public areas readily accessible to library patrons of all ages.
- The library reserves the right to deny requests for any reason and to remove exhibits at any time, with or without notice, for any reason.
- Direct sale of works on exhibit is not permitted on library property. There shall be no pricing information posted with the works.
- The library reserves the right to pre-empt and schedule exhibit spaces for library events and promotions as it deem necessary and appropriate.
- The library is not responsible for any loss, theft, or damage that may occur while works are on exhibit. All who choose to exhibit will be required to sign a form releasing the library from all such liability.
- Exhibits are limited to no more than one month in duration. Exceptions are made by the Library Director or his/her designee.
- The individual or group reserving space is required to provide all hardware and supplies for exhibiting materials and is responsible for installing and removing works.
- Library staff will not be available to assist with an exhibit.
- Both installation and removal must be completed during regular library hours. The individual or group installing the exhibit shall be responsible for any damage caused to the exhibit space while installing or removing the exhibit.
- The title of the exhibit and the name of the individual or group that is using space, as well as contact information, must appear prominently with the exhibit.